A river where the rainbow melted? yes, it sounds weird but it´s true. When you visit Caño Cristales, walk around the Serrania de la Macarena and swim in the cristal waters, that´s the perception you get. It´s a beautiful place full of nature and colors.
Caño Cristales is located in la Serrania de la Macarena, Meta. A region that for many years was occupied by the FARC (Colombian guerrilla). It was a hiden treasure; only few people dared to visit that place in the 80´s, 90´s and the first decades of the XXI Century. However, for alreay 5-6 years the situation in this region has changed, the previous governements and the Colombian Army has brought back security to the aera. Now, Caño Cristales is one of the most famous places in Colombia to visit, it´s a exotic destination for both Colombians and foreigners.
There are few things you need to take into account before planning your trip to Caño Cristales:
1) You can only go by flight. There is a road that takes to La Macarena but it is in really bad conditions and there are still some security issues in the towns aorund La Macarena.
2) You can only go between July and November. Only during the rainy season you can visit the National Park beacause in when the aquatic plants bloom and when the river has enough water.
3) You need to have a guide during the tour in the Park. Our guide was Byron (Also 100% recommended)
4) You cannot use repelent, sunblock or sun tanning cream. The water in Caño Cristales is 99% pure and we want to keep it like that. Any small amount of chemicals will have a negative impact in the ecosistem, so please bring a hat and long sleeves shirt to avoid getting sunburned
5) Book your trip in advance, there are many agencies that arrange everything for you. I booked it through Colombia Oculta, 100% recommended ;). I stayed at Mariana Hotel (excellent service)
But no more talking, it´s time to see the pics.
It´s a small version of Caño Cristales
This is the Guayabero River. You need to cross this river to get to Caño Cristales. Also beautiful!
Now, you understand why I said that Caño Cristales is the river where the rainbow melted?
If you have any questions about this an other places in Colombia don´t hesitate to contact us